Here are the dates & times for the remaining presidential debates:
October 11, 8:00 - 9:30 pm: Vice-Presidential Debate, foreign & domestic policy
October 16, 8:00 - 9:30 pm: Presidential Debate, town meeting style
October 22, 8:00 - 9:30 pm: Presidential Debate, foreign policy
For more information about the debates and a live stream via internet, click here. If you choose to watch any (or all!) of the debates, be sure to report each one as a completed goal.
As we enter this election season, it is important to remember that the church is politically neutral. From lds.org:
The Church’s mission is to preach the gospel of Jesus Christ, not to elect politicians. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is neutral in matters of party politics. This applies in all of the many nations in which it is established.
The Church does not:
- Endorse, promote or oppose political parties, candidates or platforms.
- Allow its church buildings, membership lists or other resources to be used for partisan political purposes.
- Attempt to direct its members as to which candidate or party they should give their votes to. This policy applies whether or not a candidate for office is a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
- Attempt to direct or dictate to a government leader.
- Encourage its members to play a role as responsible citizens in their communities, including becoming informed about issues and voting in elections.
- Expect its members to engage in the political process in an informed and civil manner, respecting the fact that members of the Church come from a variety of backgrounds and experiences and may have differences of opinion in partisan political matters.
- Request candidates for office not to imply that their candidacy or platforms are endorsed by the Church.
- Reserve the right as an institution to address, in a nonpartisan way, issues that it believes have significant community or moral consequences or that directly affect the interests of the Church.
Sending our love,
The Literacy Committee